Here’s a fun fact for you: according to one study, 88% of people experience holiday stress. That is when the festive period rolls around and we’re in close proximity with our family for hours (or days!) on end, the stress levels rocket. This manifests in symptoms like sleep disruptions, irritability, anxiety, and general overwhelm.
If all this sounds familiar, feel better! Because you are clearly not alone. Bouncing right to another positive, there are also ways to manage this stress so you can actually enjoy your festive break and your family’s company. So, reassurances covered, let’s get into the why and how. It all comes down to the right stress management techniques and self-care tools. We’re also noting that CBD has promising results in the field of alleviating stress and anxiety, and we’ll circle back to that in a moment. Let’s go.
Holiday season stress
So just what is it about the joyous holiday season that grinds our gears? It’s that age-old situation where you’re looking forward to a change in routine and some downtime, and yet you spend a chunk of it feeling anxious, angry, and stressed out. If you think about it, it’s logical to suffer from these feelings. There’s often a lot of pressure and expectation around times like this. Things must be perfect! But in reality, people and life itself are far from it.
A useful place to start is by rationalizing the cause of this stress. Here are just some of the things that contribute to that sensation of tipping out of control:
- A change in diet – You know what we’re saying when we talk about sugar overload. Festivities often equal sweet treats, chocolate, sugary drinks, refined carbs, and the rest. While this is all undeniably yummy, it does stuff to our bodies. These types of foods are anxiety triggers, giving you untold spikes and crashes, leading to worry, irritability and sadness.
- Alcohol and caffeine – Head back to the previous point, and you’ll find that alcohol and caffeine also slot neatly into this trigger bundle. High levels of caffeine are known to increase nervousness and anxiety, and alcohol can impact sleep and hydration, in turn increasing anxiety symptoms.
- Lack of routine – Isn’t it great to have a break from the norm? So, why do we crave a routine when we’re out of it? Keeping up the habit with some things can help you balance the joys of being off the clock from work. Getting some stress-busting exercise in is one major way to maintain your equilibrium.
- Financial worries – The holiday season can get expensive, right? Taking this financial stress into your time off will add an anxious baseline you don’t need. Working to a budget pre and during the festive period (and sticking to it!) can help to alleviate those worries.
- Blurred boundaries – Confined spaces, mixing intensely with people you don’t usually spend oodles of time with, can all add up. Setting your boundaries and escaping for some alone time is essential in situations like this. Remember, it’s perfectly normal and healthy to take a break from others and reconnect with your inner calm.
Tips for dealing with stress this hols
Hopefully, you now know that it’s normal to have a stress response to the triggers thrown up during the holidays. That said, we don’t have to be a slave to our negative emotions. There are ways to tap into our better selves and stay more Zen, even amid the chaos. Here’s how.
This comes down to what works for you and remembering that you need to be a bit more flexible than normal with your self-care routine. You might not be able to do exactly what you usually do when you do it, but that doesn’t mean you should sideline it completely. Making room for the exercise you enjoy, prioritizing your sleep, finding space for downtime, and limiting the food and drinks that trigger anxiety, all are within your control. Remember, you have the right to look after your well-being.
Focus on gratitude
Reframing our current situation can have a positive effect on our mood. Whether it’s taking a mindfulness break or writing your thoughts down in a gratitude journal, practicing a sense of gratitude has the power to reboot our emotions. So, if things are starting to heat up, take yourself away from the chaos and ask yourself what you’re grateful for. It can be as simple as the food on your plate, or the kind words of a family member. There’s always some light to be found even in the hottest of conflicts.
We know it, a temporary farewell to your routine can also make us feel disempowered when it comes to our carefully set boundaries. But it’s always ok to set boundaries for the situation you’re in. Think about what’s comfortable for you, practice the power of saying no, and experiment with communicating your wants and needs. Being real isn’t always easy, especially when we fall into the groove of family dynamics, but the more you do it, the easier it will become. If it helps, start small and stay consistent. The rest will come.
CBD for holiday stress
Like any stressful time, a toolkit of management techniques is the best way forward. CBD can be part of that picture and there are plenty of reasons to explore the possibilities, with it showing promise in the arena of stress relief. A natural way to help deal with stress, CBD can may help with alleviating emotional and physical responses to stress stimuli. At the same time, studies show potential positive links between CBD therapy, anxiety, and sleep. By potentially nudging all systems towards homeostasis, CBD may boost overall well-being so you feel empowered during the holiday stress season.
One of the nicest ways to incorporate CBD into your daily routine is through mocktails, or even a cocktail if you’re getting into the holiday spirit. So, you know it! We couldn’t resist. We just had to include a couple of our favorite recipes to get you inspired.
Top tip: Work in our Rest for the wicked as a part of your bedtime routine for that extra stress and sleep support.
CBD Moscow mule-tide mocktail recipe
Refresh the palette and chill with a non-alcoholic Moscow Mule. Yeah, it has everything in there to bring about some festive cheer. Zero alcohol, it’ll help you steer clear of the boozier drinks too. Add a CBD twist and you have your Zen creds nailed. Here’s what you need:
- 1 lime for 1-2 tablespoons juice. Fresh is better.
- 1 tbs simple syrup
- 1/4 cup club soda
- 3-4 mint leaves
- 3/4 cup of non-alcoholic ginger beer
- Rain cloud repellent CBD tincture
- Crushed ice
- Pour the lime juice, simple syrup, and club soda into your cup.
- Add your mint leaves (optional – if you’re out of mint, don’t worry. This will still be delicious).
- Top up your cup about halfway with ice.
- Pour in 3/4 a cup of ginger beer.
- Add one half to one full dropper of Rain cloud repellent for 20-40mg of CBD and give a quick stir.
- Finish with a garnish of mint leaves and a lime wedge to make it extra fancy.
Don’t be a Grinch CBD cocktail recipe
Image Credit: toastykitchen.com
Want to try a CBD-infused cocktail? Just like your mocktail recipe, this has serious potential to make you chilled AF. Because CBD doesn’t get you high, this will leave you feeling buzzed in the best way. We’re all for a palette cleanser and something super-easy, so we’re obsessed with the Grinch Cocktail. Here’s how to master it:
- 1 ½ ounce Midori liqueur
- 1-ounce clear rum or switch that out for vodka
- 5 ounces of lemon-lime soda
- Rain cloud repellent CBD tincture
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Get a lowball glass and fill it with ice.
- Add your Midori liqueur and rum (or vodka).
- Pour in the lemon-lime soda then add a quarter to half a dropper of Rain cloud repellent for 10mg-20mg of CBD.
- Stir the mix gently to blend the ingredients.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Hoo Raa CBD for holiday stress
Holiday stress can always be helped with the right game plan, and CBD could slot right into this. This is a different situation for cannabinoid therapy, and as it is always highly individualized, varying for every person and product to product, self-experimentation is key. Taking it low and slow and seeing what works will help you slip into your most chilled self. And if you need help, Hoo Raa is here. Our high-quality CBD products are made only with the most premium CBD and natural ingredients. Simply shop now to explore the options, or reach out if you need advice.